Wednesday, March 18, 2009

I've waited exactly one hundred and sixty three days to tell you this...


Just before my birthday in October (2008) I received in the mail an advance reader's copy of Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson. I was immediately struck by its cover, so rich and stunning. It literally made me gasp.

Wintergirls is the newest YA novel by the incomparable Laurie Halse Anderson, author of Speak (among other novels). The cover for Wintergirls was designed by an immensely talented photographer named Alexandre Denomay. What a wonderful and unforgettable image for a book that can only be described as the same.
Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson has, for years, sat on or around my desk as a symbolic reminder of the enchantment that can occur during a reading experience, the achingly beautiful thrill of reading and being touched by an author's authentic characters and fluid prose.

As an author, I've never wanted to forget that feeling as a reader.

Laurie Halse Anderson's works have unfailingly served as testaments of such beatiful occurrences in literature. What an awesome thing it is when a writer forgoes the pressure to be "plotty" and allows instead their characters to live and breathe and ultimately touch lives naturally.

Sometimes--as a character-driven writer--it can, however, be a downright disheartening challenge to stay dedicated to character amid the constant popularity of contrived plots. I'm not anti such books at all, but, as a reader, I've always loved more the experience of an extraordinary character than the opposite (ordinary characters doing extraordinary things).

I so often remember the impression of characters--Holden Caufield, Jean Louise “Scout” Finch, Astrid Magnussen and Winter Santiaga to name a few--more than I remember, incident by incident, what happened to them.

And now Lia.

Laurie Halse Anderson is one of my literary heros once again. Thank you, Laurie Halse Anderson, for giving us Lia.

And, to anyone reading this blog, I have waited one hundred and sixty three day to tell you this...

:)

Go out, today, and purchase (or get from the library) a copy of Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson (Penguin/Viking (ISBN 978-0-670-01110-0).

It is yet another of Anderson's incredible contributions to literature. And if you happen to have a teenaged daughter in your life, trust me, this is a book they should experience. Check out the trailer here:



Back in October, I read Wintergirls in one weekend. This week, I just re-read it again.

Wow. There really are no other words...

But, if you don't trust my enthrallment, here are a few samples of what the critics are saying:
"As difficult as reading this novel can be, it is more difficult to put down." --Publishers Weekly


"Due to the author's and the subject's popularity, this should be a much-discussed book, which rises far above the standard problem novel. --Kirkus Reviews, starred review


"Readers will be absorbed by this gripping tale..." ---BCCB, starred review

You will not regret reading Wintergirls, a gripping experience in literature.

Love!


P.S. I promise to tell you later, eventually, how it is that I received an advanced copy of this book in the first place. Promise. xoxo :)